Do you suffer from AOD (App Overload Disorder)?
I do, brother. Can I get a witness?
AOD is a horrible, stifling disease characterized by an excessive amount of time spent every day to maintain an apps habit.
The symptoms of AOD include:
- you have more than 50 Chrome tabs open right now
- your phone, tablet and laptop are always running out of memory
- you upgraded to a paid Dropbox/iCloud account – to make room for apps
- it takes you 2 hours to groom your apps in iTunes
- you check IFTTT daily to make sure your recipes are working
- you stay awake at night wondering when if you backed up your keyword passbook
- your hands are permanently disfigured through constant typing of user names and passwords
I love my apps! But they’re killing me.
I use … Read More
There are 100s of LAMP Development Tools Available Today.
But if you are just getting into developing web apps using Linux-Apache-MySQL-php – or any variation on the theme – which tools should you choose as your go-to arsenal?
I’ve been developing LAMP stack apps for about 7 years now. These days, I teach and supervise as much as I code. But I’m a pretty experienced engineer.
Listed below are my favorites utilities and apps for newbie LAMP developers. They all have a bit of a learning curve that pays off later, when you burn the oil all night.
Five Gotta-Have LAMP Dev Tools
In order to develop LAMP/MAMP/XAMPP apps you’ll need at least five types of tools in your kit. These include:
- A local development environment (LDE)
- An integrated development environment (IDE)
- Database tools
… Read More
Back in 1985, when I was 12 years old, my father (an engineer) brought home a watch we’d both seen in the James Bond film, Octopussy, together: the Seiko TV Watch. It was known at the time as “the world’s smallest TV” (I learned that the Guinness Book of World Records named it that in 1984). It made a real impression on me at the time. I thought my father was the coolest.
The other day, I saw Octopussy again and thought I’d go check the attic to see if the unit Dad bought was still with his stuff in my attic. Yes it was – and it was still in the original packaging!.
After researching online for a few hours, here’s what I learned about the first smart watch I ever owned … Read More